- Israel launches full-scale attacks throughout Gaza - Financial Times (Apr 16, 2001)
- Israel Rains Down Fire on Gaza Strip - Reuters (Apr 16, 2001)
- Bush Blames Hezbollah in Mideast - AP (Apr 16, 2001)
- U.S. Blames Hizbollah for Mideast Provocation - Reuters (Apr 16, 2001)
So you don't think the U.S. opinion matters?Tuesday April 17 3:37 PM ET
Powell: Israeli Attacks 'Excessive'
By BARRY SCHWEID, AP Diplomatic Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) - In a rare thrust at Israel, Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) on Tuesday accused Israel of an ``excessive and disproportionate'' response to Palestinian mortar attacks and said it should respect its commitment to withdraw in Gaza.
Powell's statement, read by State Department spokesman Richard Boucher, also called on Palestinian leaders to fulfill their promise to renounce terrorism and violence and to exercise control over all elements of the Palestinian Authority (news - web sites) and the Palestine Liberation Organization (news - web sites).
A few hours later, a senior Israeli official said Israel would pull its forces out of the patch of Gaza overnight.
Initially, Israel had said it would hold the territory until danger passed, while an Israeli military commander said his forces might remain for months.
- 4/24/01 Israel to lift blockade on Jericho (Yahoo)
- 5/18/01 Israelis shell West Bank targets after bomb kills five in mall (Yahoo)
- 5/19/01 Powell calls for Mideast cease-fire (Yahoo)
Rants Politics News Home